Friday, October 07, 2005

The RevGals Meme

1) What is your earliest memory of church?
Easter egg hunt, because that was about the only time we’d go, unless mom was on a jag! Awful sugar eggs and a big spread of deviled eggs, fried chicken, potato salad, and iced tea (and that weird punch that comes in gallon jugs for the kiddies).

2) How old were you when you first took Communion?
Hmm. I’m not sure I remember. You had to come at some odd time, like Wednesday night, once a month. I received the impression that communion was not particularly important.

3) What is your favorite Bible verse/passage?
We just got asked this in company devotions. I don’t really have a favorite. I picked a verse from the Song of Solomon, a portion of which I read at my wedding to Dear Husband.

4) What verse/passage nicks you uncomfortably?
That psalm about sitting by the waters of Babylon. I’m too lazy to look it up. You know--the one about dashing out the children’s brains. It starts out so nicely and then just goes all to hell.

5) What's your favorite hymn or praise song?
I’m going to be really boring and say Amazing Grace. It was my mom’s favorite, and it still makes my hair stand up on end. Definitely nothing I’ve heard from the hymnal around here has swayed me, and I loathe most contemporary praise music.

3 comments:

  1. Ditto here on the Praise Music, but since we don't sing any, I only come across it when I visit the new church start that worships in our Vestry on Sunday afternoons. I just find the songs pretty tuneless.

    I'm interested in your recollections about communion; it was just four times a year in my childhood church, as I recall, and it was a very unfamiliar thing to me as a child. No one ever explained it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Songbird: yep, tuneless and often sappy.

    Four times a year sounds about right for me, too. I don't remember what I thought about it, except that the bread was odd (probably matzo) and even at whatever tender age, I knew grape juice and wine were two different things. Heck, I'm not even sure they called it "communion," which probably sounded to Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    I'm not sure I'm with you on the praise songs though. There are some beautiful ones out there that exalt God. (Many are me-me-me though which I don't like)

    Today a young team from another denomination came and did the service fo r us. It was LOUD (they provided ear plugs) and they were passionate. I was blessed - and it was so good to be able to receive (even though I had to spiritually lead the meeting).

    I love some of the old hymns. Beautiful words and melodies - but I love the passion more.

    We only do Holy Communion once a month which is way too seldom from my point of view.

    loved your stories and Songbirds comments too :)

    ReplyDelete