Monday, October 17, 2005

Monday Meme

1. What is your favorite word? Halcyon. I first encountered this word in Brideshead Revisted, a novel that obsessed me as an adolescent. Arcadia is another word that I love.
2. What is your least favorite word? Heresy. Because it is used to shut you up.
3. What turns you on, creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Surrealistic play. I’ve always enjoyed the enthusiasm and energy of the surrealists and dadaists, and that sort of willingness to bend reality and see what happens is very attractive.
4. What turns you off? Sentimentality disguised as relgious artifact. All those awful saccharine images of praying children and mild Jesuses. Ugh.
5. What is your favorite curse word? F**k. Good Anglo-Saxon curse word that doesn’t involve God, although I frequently end up dragging Him into my curses.
6. What sound or noise do you love? I love the sound of libraries, the quiet, soothing, noise of pages turning, muffled voices with the occasional delighted (or maybe not so happy!) outburst from children. It’s so peaceful.
7. What sound or noise do you hate? Jackhammers and leaf blowers. Not much explanation needed. I can’t imagine anyone delights in these.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Librarian, because I love libraries and books, and helping other people love libraries and books.
9. What profession would you not like to do? Paratrooper. Terrified of heights.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? I’m so happy to see you! Come in and join the party!

8 comments:

  1. These are great! Thanks for playing. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved your comments and insight int he library

    I forgot to say I love the sound of pages of the Bible turning in church. I love it love it love it. How could I have forgotten it!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.watchman.net.

    Victory is not a thing it is a man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I also learned about "halcyon" from Brideshead. It's such a great word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorna: Now I'm reminded of the echoing sounds in the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in NYC, a lovely, gothic echo.

    Emily: I don't meet that many people who've read Brideshead. Definitely a formative text for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well. Guess what's going on the top of my reading list? Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fave word is actually two that describes a semiprecious stone--"lapis lazuli," although "golden" is a close second.

    My least fave is excrescence. Not only does it describe something unnatural and strange, it's also ugly going over the tongue.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOH, Brideshead Revisited! I had forgotten and must re-read immediately!

    If you want a laugh per your number 4, go to The Passion of the Tchotchke at www.goingjesus.com

    :) Happy day,

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete