Friday, October 21, 2005

Friday Meme

  1. What was the last CD you purchased? How to Dismantal an Atomic Bomb, by U2.

  2. Did you like it? Oh yeah.

  3. Is it the kind of music you would call your favorite? I do love U2, but I’m also fond of darker music. Unfortunately, I haven’t kept up with many artists, so I don’t buy much any more and haven’t much of a clue about what’s going on in the alternative music world.

  4. What was the first album (CD for you youngsters) you ever owned? This I don’t remember very clearly. My mom had a bunch of records for me with songs from Disney movies  and such, as well as storyies on albums, like The Little Red Bird, about a very angry bird (I could relate to that one, alright!).  When it came time to purchase my own albums, well, I’m not sure. There was a period of time when my parents signed me up for the Columbia record club. I think that resulted in some pretty embarrassing purchases. The first album I remember consciously buying—actually thinking about and going into a record store and buying—was Vienna by Ultravox.

  5. And what was your favorite cut from that recording? Well, my favorite song from Vienna was the title track.  I grew tired of them pretty soon.  Now, when I was a kid, my mom had a single that I just loved. This was in the 70s. It was a song about The Jolly Green Giant--yep, the one from the frozen veggie commercials. “Ho Ho Ho, Green Giant!” Something about his sidekick Sprout.  How we came to have a 45 with the Green Giant jingle on it I will never know.  Probably some sort of promotion. It seems like there was a little story, but I don’t remember a book.  I was probably all of 5 when I liked this song.  My other favorite song when I was 5 was Light My Fire by the Doors. I have a vivid memory of hearing it the first time while riding in a car with my dad. I thought it was the best song ever, but since I had no purchasing power, I didn’t own a copy.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! I can see you as some sort of rebel/counter-culture 5 year old - jammin' to the Giant and swayin' to the Doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did two nice things for me. You visited my blog, and you made a link to it. how nice!

    I thought I'd top by and take a peek at yours.

    Thanks again!

    C.S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you thought "Light My Fire" was the best song ever when you were 5, you must have had very good taste in music.

    The first album I had, I only just now remembered while reading this post, was Charlie Daniels' The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Which is especially funny to me for so many reasons. (And don't tell anyone, but I still know that song really well for some inexplicable reason.)

    ReplyDelete