Friday, May 19, 2006

TGIF

Well, so much for work ethics. Here I am typing a post with 25 minutes to go to quittin’ time. I’m too tired and burned out to think straight.

The book discussion was, as I thought it would be, pretty dull. But like I said, I have a bad attitude. I thought the discussion questions were pretty lame. One was “What role does work play in redemptive history?” First of all, I don’t think I even understand that question. I don’t think I understand what redemptive history is. I was also introduced to the idea of work as worship. Well, that makes worship sound really exhausting to me. But it’s over now, and I can reflect on how it can be that the author did not mention one woman in the Bible. Considering how much women work, you’d think he could have mentioned one. Ruth, maybe. Or at least the Mary and Martha story. Or how about Mary the mother of Jesus? She must have had her hands full. But then, this is a denomination that won’t ordain women, so probably the women are used to being overlooked. Everyone else seemed to like the book. I thought it lacked any kind of exhortatory power. But at least it wasn’t Who Moved My Cheese?

So, I’m going to take my decidedly unbiblical perspective on work on home, where I can grouse about the amount of cleaning and laundry to do this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. have a great weekend Alice... praying you'll get a bit of time just for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky to be able to do this at work! About a month ago, the school blocked a lot of stuff, so I was lost for days! I finally got over it, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you ever discover the meaning of redemptive history, let me know...I don't understand the question either. I don't know the name of the book you were reading, but a step up from who moved my cheese still ain't whoopie in my book! =) have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Redemptive history, I think, is merely the concept that there was a purpose throughout the history of God's work (through the patriarchs and the people of Israel)so as to work to a point to provide Him to enter into our lives, to redeem us,through the risen Christ. It is just an examination of the Bible, Old and new Testaments, in the light of salvation.

    The problem is that in simply asking such questions we are intelectualizing an intensely divine, cosmic, Earth sahaking series of events, turning them into mental puzzles and dry discussions.

    No wonder it made you feel weary.

    If such a discussion does not include some passion, then I think the point is being missed.


    Sheesh... that sounded pompous, didn't it?!

    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find your outlook frighteningly morose. Frighteningly, I say, because I was there not so many years ago. Only by major upsets (depression, marital seperation, husband filing for divorce) was I jolted on the path to wellness. On the path, I say, because no one "arrives". We just get futher and further along until we're relatively happy, peaceful, and adjusted.

    Your expectations stink. They are determining your outcomes. You said the meeting would be boring, and--Voila!--it was. You said you would be irritated--and lo!--you were.

    My advice: change your words, change your words, change your words, change your words, change your words, change your words, change your words, change your words, change your words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Women were very service-oriented in the NT, as opposed to the charm-oriented women in the OT, so it's completely unfair to leave Biblical women out of the discussion of "work as worship." But life is never fair, is it?

    ReplyDelete