Sunday, May 21, 2006

Firecracker Goes Off

Firecracker has had seizures since she was about a year old. She has what are called partial focal seizures. She never loses consciousness, but she looses the ability to control the left side of her body. Sometimes they are so subtle and over so quickly that you aren't sure what you just saw. She has been on a few different meds, and her seizures have been pretty much under control. But after a long period of seeing very few if any, she's suddenly having them every couple of hours. I know when they're coming on because she starts laughing uncontrollably, and then she starts tilting or crumpling. She's zonked now, whether from increased meds or multiple seizures, I'm not sure.

So I'm asking whoever reads this to say a little prayer for Firecracker.

May 23 Update
Thank you all for your prayers. The increase in meds seems to be working. We saw only a couple of seizures yesterday. She's still feisty as ever.

Yet another update--May 24
Abby had one seizure last night. She started laughing and trembling. Probably brought on by fatigue, because she resists going to sleep. This morning when her bus came she started screaming and crying. This is completely out of character. She loves the bus and school. I just knew--and it turned out that I was correct--that I would hear that she had a seizure on the bus. Poor Firecracker. She has an EEG coming up, which will tell us what we already know, that her brain patterns are abnormal. Her medication will have to be revisited. I've been lax about scheduling a sleep study (requested by her pulmonologist, as it turns out, since apnea can exacerbate asthma), but her sleep patterns may also be abnormal and contributing to the seizures. I'm grateful she doesn't have grand or even petit mal seizures, but our neurologist put the fear of God into me by telling me that left uncontrolled the electrical impulses will keep building until she does have a grand mal.

My birthday is tomorrow--I'm turning 40. I do not feel very celebratory.

26 comments:

  1. Sure. You can assure of my prayers. Hope it's nothing serious and everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercy, Lord. Please have mercy on this little one. Cushion those who love her. Give wisdom to those who treat her.


    Will continue to pray...
    (00000)

    ReplyDelete
  3. many prayers your way. i'll daily pray for her and you and jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs and prayers for all of you...so hard not to worry yourself into the ground too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you've read my post St. Antoine but anyway, I do 10 rounds on a rosary bracelet every day. Firecracker's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will pray. Doing so right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and making sure many more pray for Firecracker--and you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Father, please comfort this little one. give her rest and peace. i pray that you will heal her from this. i believe that there is nothing impossible with you. it is your will to heal us from whatever sickness we have. we claim your promise in Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will as well, I really hope she gets feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers going up for Firecracker and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. B.A,

    You are in my prayers.

    Healing for Firecracker
    Peace for you and the family
    Wisdom for your medical team

    Love+
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's on a post-it note over my desk so she'll get a prayer every time I look up. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll add her to my prayer list. God bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bad Alice, Thanks for the updates. I will get some hard core praying Carmelites on the job as well. I hope your birthday doesn't completely suck.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honey, I am so glad we have my mom coming this weekend so we can seperate ourselves for a few moments. You desire so much love and affection - I am glad I am the one to give you it.

    Don't worry - what I have planned for this Saturday will make up for loss of sleep and husband that spends too much time with his nose in the books.

    Love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope your birthday is better than you think. I'm glad you were born.

    And little Miss Firecracker---I hope and pray that her little brain waves get all straightened out --and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. prayers for you both...hope you manage to celebrate a little on your birthday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Happy Birthday, I turned 40 on May 31st!

    ReplyDelete