Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Why I Hate Mornings

I have a bit of a quandary that I’ve been dealing with all school year. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have to wake DramaQueen and Firecracker at 5:45 am so that Firecracker can catch the bus to her school at their daycare center. Firecracker goes to a special school that starts an hour earlier than DramaQueen’s school. It isn’t in our school district, and this has led to some complications with regard to transportation, pick-up times, and my job, all of which is too boring to explain here. Life is sooo unfair.

I could probably part the Red Sea more easily that I can get a three-year-old and a six-year-old out of bed at 5:45 am (unless it’s Christmas, but that’s irrelevant to this discussion). Getting them to bed earlier has not worked well—partly because by the time I pick them up after work and get them home, I would have about an hour to do get them fed and bathed before bed. Dear Husband might like that, but the girls have other opinions. And at the end of that hour, Dear Husband will be home and the celebratory dancing and chanting will commence: “Daddy! Daddy! Daaaadddddyyyy!”

(Have I mentioned that no matter what time Firecracker goes to bed, or how busy her day, at 10 pm I will find her sitting up in bed, bright-eyed, playing with a car?)

We have been conscientious about laying out clothes for the next day, having the backpacks and lunches by the door and the coats at the ready, and setting Mommy’s coffee maker to go off at 5:30 am. But all the preparation in the world cannot get around the fact that no one wants to be awake at 5:45 am. Including me.

It’s amazing how difficult it is to dress inert bodies.

And why do they put seams in children’s socks? If we can fly to the moon, can we not develop a seamless sock to save the sanity of moms across America?

But back to the early start conundrum. I think I have arrived at a solution. If I limit their clothing to sweats and leggings with t-shirts, they can sleep in what they will wear the next day! Problem solved!

You think I’m kidding.


11 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel for you girlfriend. I've often heard that calendars work great. Buy a cheap or better yet, find free wall calendars at your bank, etc. Let the girls give themselves a smiley face for each day they get up and get dressed quickly or without begging :) At the end of the week, if they have a certain amount of smileys, they get a prize. You could even hit the Dollar Tree and put a bunch of toys in a brouwn bag so they can see ahead of tiem the rewards. Kinda like a treasure box.

    Wouldn't it be easier if they could sleep in the pj's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea. I knew there was a reason I saved that Epilepsy Foundation calendar. I think they'll work for McDonalds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not too mention she has no help from Daddy, who is too busy trying to get to bed at a decent hour and drive 1 1/2 hours away from work. I wish I could help more honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that turning lights on about ten minutes before having to stir The Boy for the first time has really helped. The brightness of the lights seems to begin the physical wake up process before I start in with words.

    For myself, I have an alarm clock from Hammacher Schlemmer that begins with a light coming on gradually, then gets brighter over the half-hour before the alarm goes off. It really helps me.

    Also, if you ease Tuesday and Thursday's times closer to the 5:45 wake up (put down that wooden spike and crucifix, now, hear me out!) then the sleep cycle might even itself out more. Evil suggestion. I know. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate mornings too. well, not as much as when i was still in school. it's just so hard to get up every morning, more so with kids. my mom used to give us some treats at the end of the week if we could get up at 6 am and leave the house at 6:30. and oh! no whining, that's one of her conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel your pain. i have trouble getting my kids up and out the door by 8:20am, i can't imagine having to get up before 6. that's ungodly!

    and dressing them the nite before doesn't sound crazy to me, not one little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's why God made leggings and sweats. You've got all the other stuff covered (i.e. being ready the night before, which is huge). Brilliant solution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha!

    My kids dispensed with pjs ages ago and now put on their clothes before bed. They actually like to get dressed after their baths and go to bed all ready for the next day.

    I say go for it. Not having to help them dress in the wee hours of the morning is really helpful!

    Love+
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. once TS went to daycare in his pjs

    kidding? NOT (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no children to rouse and I STILL hate getting up at 5:45 and I ALSO don't understand why socks have seams in them!

    Let's start a revolt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um. I have a 9 year old who sleeps in her clothes. I put her to bed in her nightgown -- she gets up sometime in the night and puts on her clothes. Why? So she can sleep later in the morning.

    ReplyDelete