Monday, October 19, 2015

Just Being Here

Even home with a mind-cracking headache, I still find delight in the disruption of the routine. I like hearing the neighborhood as it is when I'm not around. The cars going by sound different when I don't have to join them. There are thrums and hums and sonorous clanging from some unidentifiable piece of machinery doing unknown work somewhere in the distance. A few chirrups of birds. The faraway growl of an airplane. Inside, the window blinds creak as the cat inserts herself between them and the window for a sunbath. Being still is one of my favorite activities, something I inherited from my mom, who could sit in an old lawn chair under the stars for hours. I used to think she was boring until I discovered the pleasures of sitting quietly in various locations, some urban and busy and some pastoral and slow. It is deeply satisfying to sink down into existence and simply feel it sustaining you.


6 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is good writing. I love when the right words strung together have a soothing effect. You and Booda and Hat excel at this kind of stuff. And Lorraine. Crap, all of you do. [skips away to learn new words.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Like". Yes, what JP said. I admire those who can write briefly and well and pull you in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there next to you...minus the headache. Just a lovely visual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JP only said that on the off chance that I'd stop by after him. Pft. This IS a lovely piece of writing, Karen. Stillness is the best and it's a rare commodity. I am sorry about your poor head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. remember those semi-terrifying Saturday afternoon made-for-TV 'horror' shows in the 80's where the old lady sits in front of her window for so long, that the impression of her shadow is permanently etched into the glass? I recall watching that and thinking, "that would be me". Such is my love of quiet observation. xoxo (also, I love the sound of a cat sliding through anything)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss a big yard...living in old farts retirement apts..we do have yards..about 6x14...but I miss yard yards...where you have big bushes of flowers that were homes to butterflies and bees..I miss lightning bugs...what ever happened to lightning bugs? and horney toads..ah jeez, I'm turning into one of them old farts droning on about the good ole days.

    ReplyDelete