Saturday, June 24, 2006

RevGal Friday Five: Ice cream

It's not Friday, but it's always the right time to talk about ice cream.

1. Ice cream: for warm weather only or a year-round food? Year-round, any time. It's never too cold in Georgia for ice cream.

2. Favorite flavor(s). Mint chocolate chip, peppermint, coffee (Starbuck Java Chip--mmmm), and anything with caramel or nuts. I don't much like chocolate ice cream, but I like chocolate in ice cream. At ice cream shops, I don't go for elaborate mix-ins (And I still haven't figured out why anyone would put Twizzlers in their ice cream--don't they get hard enought to break your teeth?).

3. Cake cone, sugar cone, waffle cone, cup? I like cake cones. They hold up well. Waffle cones are good, but are usually so enormous and crumbly.

4. Childhood ice-cream memory. Orange push-up pops from the local convenience store. The cardboard cylindar would start to get soggy and mushy near the end. I also loved ice cream bars. I ate the chocolate shell first and then the vanilla ice cream. And I have fond memories of my dad taking me to Dairy Queen for butterscotch sundaes. I liked butterscotch better than chocolate.

5. Banana splits: discuss. Blech. I am not a fan of bananas because I don't like their texture. I think they are really weird eaten with ice cream, kind of slimy, and then those little stringy bits come off. Ick.

Because Dear Husband is somewhat lactose intolerant, we've experimented with soy ice cream. Nasty. If anyone has ever had one that didn't taste like, well, soy, let me know. He has to make do with Breyer's Lactose Free, which comes in vanilla only .

6 comments:

  1. Aw. Soy ice cream is just, well, sad. My hubby has to eat the sugar-free varieties of ice-cream which aren't entirely awful, but not the same as the real thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the butterscotch/caramel over chocolate thing. I love Ben and Jerry's Phish Food.

    I like banana splits just fine but I don't like pineapple topping. Must have caramel instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the banana splits. Never was fond of them. Poor hubby. Yeah soy ice cream sounds nasty. Is there any way hubby can take pills so that he can indulge once in a while? My daughters friend is lactose intolerant. She has pills that she takes if she knows that there might be dairy around. If I hear of an alternative to ice cream that is just as tasty, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, finally, another person who thinks the texture of bananas is icky (this is a proper use of the scientific term I believe).

    I was beginning to think I was the only one...

    grace and peace

    PS - Phish Food rocks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't much like chocolate ice cream, but I like chocolate in ice cream.

    Did I write that or you (grin)

    Jeff - try Sorbets they are delicious - and lactose and fat free. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I had forgotten about those push up bars.
    I liked DQ floats when I was growing up but am now partial to Peanut Buster Bars.

    ReplyDelete