Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Now that's some damn good water

Well bust my buttons, but I ran across an ad campaign today that was very, ah, intriguing. It's for Perrier. I can imagine after a while it becomes difficult to effectively promote bottled water. It's a bit of a luxury item (at least Perrier thinks it is) but, heh, water - how basic can you get? Enter the advertising firm Ogilvy.

I'm not well-versed in burlesque, so I had to Google Dita Von Teese. Never stop learning - that's my motto.

If you are inclined, you can visit the Perrier Mansion and have a look around. Several times.




The very definition of a come-hither look.
Is this sexist? Do I care? Will I be more likely to buy Perrier? Doubtful, but I am tempted to get a veil.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I dress that way all the time...LOL....but, no I don't drink Perrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember the last time I had Perrier. I usually just have proletariat seltzer water if I want sparkle. Dear Husband really liked this ad. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ha ha, Dear Husband just came home with a bottle of Perrier! No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've honestly never understood advertising - how it is I'm supposed to make some kind of Pavlovian connection between the product and the image they're trying to associate with it after I see it enough times - even though it has nothing to do with the product itself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should post this. Bottled water (perrier or otherwise) is a huge topic in the PW household at the moment - still water versus carbonated. Strange the things we find to 'discuss'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul: I fear that all this advertising is like a sleeper cell. One day I'll be standing in a supermarket hesitating before an array of similar products, and one will seem slightly more familiar, as if I had used it before and know it is superior. In fact it will be because some bit of advertising has been hibernating. This is particularly clever, because it delivers a pleasant and amusing experience. It's clever, imaginative. And so by association, Perrier is enhanced.

    Petty: I love carbonated water, though we buy a very inexpensive canned variety. I just like fizz.

    ReplyDelete