It’s getting sad when all I blog about is the Friday Five. I guess I need an assignment to inspire me. Perhaps I’ll blame my lack of inspiration on the heat..
1. What's the high temperature today where you are? 96 degrees. Could be and has been worse. On the plus side the sky is a soft blue with fluffy clouds. Still, not a temperature I feel like hanging out in.
2. Favorite way(s) to beat the heat. Stay inside. Libraries are particularly nice places to be when it’s too hot. I would say the pool, but since that is where everyone wants to be, I don’t find it very pleasant. There really is no other option, unless we could drive up to the mountains. Early morning is more bearable, but only for a short period of time. The evening is still warm, and full of mosquitos.
3. "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." Evaluate this statement. Anyone who thinks that humidity is the problem should try Arizona at 118 degrees. Still, humidity is nasty to deal with. Nothing dries, everything mildews. It’s hard to breathe. You feel sticky.
4. Discuss one or more of the following: sauna, hot tub, sweat lodge, warm-stone massage. Go away. I am utterly bored by the idea of sitting in something hot at any time of year. Maybe with a book. I could probably deal with the warm-stone massage, but I would be happier with a regular mssage.
5. Hottest you've ever been in your life. Phoenix AZ, 120 degrees. I have never been hotter than when I lived in Arizona. It’s dangerous to be outside for any length of time, and it doesn’t cool off at night. Well, 110 degrees doesn’t seem like a lot of relief. Putting kids in and out of carseats in the summer involves a lot of precautions if you aren’t lucky enough to find covered parking. Get the airconditioning going ahead of time. Make sure you have water and towels to wet down the seats and especially the buckles, which will leave red welts if they brush your skin. Oh, and taking the key out of the ignition—be careful not to touch the metal part—and don’t put it in your pocket. Ouch. When we went shopping we sometimes saw signs warning you not to put your wine in the trunk with the rest of the groceries, because it would explode.
Non-temperature related bonus: In your opinion... who's hot? Hot in what way? Popular? Sexy? I’ll go with sexy:
- Colin Firth
- Alan Rickman (Severus Snape has quite a few fan sites)
- Shane on the L Word