1. What is your favorite word? Halcyon. I first encountered this word in Brideshead Revisted, a novel that obsessed me as an adolescent. Arcadia is another word that I love.
2. What is your least favorite word? Heresy. Because it is used to shut you up.
3. What turns you on, creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Surrealistic play. I’ve always enjoyed the enthusiasm and energy of the surrealists and dadaists, and that sort of willingness to bend reality and see what happens is very attractive.
4. What turns you off? Sentimentality disguised as relgious artifact. All those awful saccharine images of praying children and mild Jesuses. Ugh.
5. What is your favorite curse word? F**k. Good Anglo-Saxon curse word that doesn’t involve God, although I frequently end up dragging Him into my curses.
6. What sound or noise do you love? I love the sound of libraries, the quiet, soothing, noise of pages turning, muffled voices with the occasional delighted (or maybe not so happy!) outburst from children. It’s so peaceful.
7. What sound or noise do you hate? Jackhammers and leaf blowers. Not much explanation needed. I can’t imagine anyone delights in these.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Librarian, because I love libraries and books, and helping other people love libraries and books.
9. What profession would you not like to do? Paratrooper. Terrified of heights.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? I’m so happy to see you! Come in and join the party!